Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||University of Nebraska
||Lincoln, NE United States
|| Accounting/Auditing, Financial Services, Government and Policy, Purchasing, Collegiate Faculty, Staff, Administration, Executive Management
Associate Executive Director for Operations, Buffett Early Childhood Institute|
The Associate Executive Director for Operations reports to the Executive Director of the Buffett Early Childhood Institute. The position provides leadership in the areas of operational efficiency, financial management, and staffing. As a member of the Institute’s executive leadership team, this position functions as a business thought partner, planner, and collaborator with the Executive Director and the Associate Executive Director for Strategy and External Affairs with a focus on the full range of internal organizational issues and responsibilities facing the Institute.
Buffett Early Childhood Institute Profile
Envisioned as a new model for how public higher education is engaged in the first years of life, the Buffett Early Childhood Institute is a four-campus, university-wide, multidisciplinary research, education, outreach, and policy institute of the University of Nebraska committed to helping transform early childhood development and education in Nebraska and across the nation. The long-term goal of the Institute is to be a leading center where scholars, practitioners, community members, and policy makers collaborate to advance a unified approach that can improve the lives of young children and families and the systems that support them.
Applicants should note that the goals of the Institute are both university- and state-wide, but the Institute’s administrative home is at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. This position will work primarily out of the Omaha office but may have additional university-wide responsibilities.
• Oversee all day-to-day internal operations of the Institute.
• With the Executive Director and the Associate Executive Director for Strategy and External Affairs form a three-person leadership team that strategizes, plans, and oversees execution of the Institute’s work. Provide essential information to support budget and fiscal planning.
• Focus on internal operational efficiencies of the Institute with particular attention to project management, goal-setting, staffing, and financial management.
• Understand and establish staffing objectives and oversee the creation and implementation of administrative systems and operational procedures.
• Plan, execute, troubleshoot, and create critical infrastructure so the organization can function effectively, efficiently, and with high levels of job satisfaction and performance.
• Provide cross-functional leadership and support that is intended to integrate siloed activities.
• Oversee development of the Institute’s annual budget working closely with the Director of Finance and Institute directors.
• Provide operational leadership to the Director of Finance and oversee budget and finance processes and systems to ensure effective financial controls are in place.
• Interface with University of Nebraska Administration and campuses on budget and fiscal affairs and other business matters related to operational leadership and administration concerning the Institute
• Responsible for all HR and hiring processes, including diversity initiatives, staff training, and development.
• Supervise the Institute’s administrative staff, Director of Finance, IT/AV Specialist, and Receptionist, and assume informal responsibility for the Conferences and Special Projects Manager.
• Coordinate operational meetings to include, but not limited to, the Directors’ weekly meetings, staff meetings, and periodic retreats. Responsible for agendas and resource materials. Leverage the expertise of others to build commitment and community among staff.
• Implement and manage strategies for project management. Lead annual planning process for the Institute and collaborate with fellow directors in developing work plans and reporting on progress.
• Track and report progress on implementing Institute’s strategic plan.
• As a member of the leadership team, ensure staff are informed and engaged in the work of the Institute and create an inclusive, collaborative, and supportive workplace culture.
• Assume other responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director.
Qualifications & Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree is required, an emphasis in business administration, project management, and finance is preferred. Master’s degree desirable.
• Six to eight years of proven senior level experience leading business operations, project management, and financial management in a dynamic, growing organization is required. Experience in higher education desirable.
• Proven organizational and leadership skills with ability to understand complex issues and help lead an organization to work collaboratively and across units to realize operational potential.
• Experience in developing administrative systems and processes for an organization and providing project management support to a fast-growing organization.
• Demonstrated competence in strategic planning, organizational development, financial oversight, and human relations.
• Strong decision-making skills with demonstrated leadership in a collaborative environment.
• Demonstrated success in managing, supporting, and motivating staff; strong supervisory skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment, managing multiple priorities and working well under pressure with strict deadlines.
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
University of Nebraska|
One University. Four Campuses. One Nebraska.
A land-grant flagship campus. An academic medical center. A metropolitan campus serving our urban citizens. And a campus focused on undergraduates. Collectively, these four unique institutions are known as the University of Nebraska. Each institution has distinct strengths, giving the University of Nebraska a scope of expertise that is hard to equal.